Preparing a ham this weekend? In need of a recipe that's a little different, less traditional but will still wow everyone? I did this yesterday.
My husband has a bit of a Whiskey collection, so I thought I would infuse this years ham with some of his finest tastes. I chose an Aussie Whiskey, but you can choose whatever you like. The trick is when basting and baking a ham, it's a long game, and you need to be close by to complete the basting. It's not impossible, you just need to make sure you're available to continue the process. And believe me, the results are superb!
• 1/2 cup whiskey
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
• 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
• 1/4 apple cider vinegar
• cloves (optional)
• 3-5kg leg ham with bone in
• preheat oven to 180 degrees
• combine ingredients together in a saucepan and place on med heat
• stir consistently until the brown sugar is dissolved
• set aside
• take the outer hard fat from the leg, and peel it off
• score the soft fat underneath and score diamond shapes with a sharp knife
• place the cloves in the middle of each diamond
• place the ham in a large deep baking tray
• pour a few tablespoons of mixture over the ham and place in the oven
• set a timer for every 20 minutes (until 80 minutes) baste the ham with more mixture
• after 80 minutes, remove the ham, and carve immediately
• enjoy with your favourite trimmings and of course, family and friends
For more of my 12 days of Christmas, subscribe now. Merry Christmas!